Particles and Experiments: Muon Monitoring

A presentation on physics and space?  Heck yeah!

The current Standard Model of Fundamental Particles has been able to describe in a single mathematical pattern all visible matter (4 percent of the mass of the universe). It thus states that this matter consists of six electron-like leptons and six quarks making known nuclei and atoms and many unstable particles created in high-energy particle collisions. The remaining 96 percent of the Universe is made from a still mysterious set of “dark matter” and “dark energy.” The muon, an unstable lepton particle, is effectively a massy version of the electron. Muons are present in the secondary cosmic ray showers in the atmosphere, and are one of the few particles to reach in large numbers a sea level environment. They decay into three other leptons: an electron and two neutrinos, which in our experiment escape undetected. The speaker will explain her experiment, which registers the arrival and stopping of a muon as a voltage pulse, and how it could be used in applications for modern-day society.

Cioli Barazandeh received her associate’s and bachelor’s of science in space studies from American Military University at the ages of 12 and 13, consecutively. She began graduate coursework at the Florida Institute of Technology (FIT) before completion of her bachelor’s. She is currently an FIT graduate student focusing on space systems. She is also concurrently a master’s student at Purdue University engaged in the study of aeronautical and astronautical engineering funded by a full scholarship through the School of Engineering. She hopes to achieve her MS from Purdue in December 2018 and finish her MS at FIT (by May 2018), while possibly working on the research component of a doctorate. As the President of the Society of Physics Students, Annandale chapter, at Northern Virginia Community College, she currently studies with Professor Walerian Majewski and physics students, focusing on projects revolving around magnetism and particle physics.

cioli.jpg

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s